Sacred buildings

Church of St. Nicholas - Brod Moravice

The Church of St. Nicholas is one of the oldest sacral monuments in Gorski kotar. The Turanj-Turn stone tower, which is located on the south-eastern side of the church, is its most significant historical feature. The tower was built in the late 16th century by Prince Zrinski as defence against the Turks. Today, the Turanj tower is a museum that includes exhibits from the time of the Zrinski and Frankopan noble families, and replicas of weapons, tools and armour from the Ottoman period.

Church of Our Lady of Škapularska - Moravička Sela

The large votive church in Moravička Sela is dedicated to Our Lady of Škapularska, but also to Our Lady of Mount Carmel. The main altar features a moveable painting of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, and celebrations are held twice a year: on 18 July and 6 September.

The Church of St. Anthony of Padua, Fužine

The Church of St. Anthony of Padua is the largest sacral building in Gorski kotar. It took 25 years to build, from 1808 to 1833, on the site of an earlier chapel and the first cemetery of Fužine.

Shrine of Our Lady of the Snowsn Lič

In the oldest village in the Municipality of Fužine, you will find the Church of St. George (1662) and the Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows in the plain of Ličko polje. The history of this shrine dates back to 1733, when, according to legend, it snowed on 5 August and there was an apparition of the Mother of God. Today, this shrine is a destination whose popularity is not only restricted to believers. In the vicinity, there is the hill of Sveti Ivan (St. John), with a trail of the Stations of the Cross and a chapel that was built in honour of Pope John Paul II.

Church of St. Franjo Ksaverski - Rtić, Lukovdol

The 17th-century Church of St. Franjo Ksaverski is a single-nave pilgrimage church with a three-sided end, domed vault above the nave, and lateral tower. It is one of the most valuable sacral buildings in Gorski kotar.

Treasury of the Church of St. Teresa of Avila - Ravna Gora

The most valuable items that are now in the possession of the Church of St. Teresa of Avila are a monstrance (1778), chalice (1741) and the reliquary of St. Simplicius from the 18th century. These were donated to the church by Maria Theresa on the occasion of the consecration of the church in 1778. Among the many valuable items, a vestment is particularly worth mentioning. The church owns several beautifully crafted old chasubles. The oldest is richly decorated with coats of arms and was probably the gift of a prince or king.

Orthodox monastery - Gomirje

This is the westernmost Orthodox monastery in Europe, and also includes the Church of the Birth of St. John the Forerunner. The monastery was probably established in the year 1600, and the construction of the present church started in 1719. Throughout its existence, the monastery has been known as a spiritual centre, and is today the seat of the Parish of Gomirje and a key religious site for orthodox believers.

 Calvary - Šimatovo, Završje
In Šimatovo in Završje, baroque-classicist chapels stretch from the village to the chapel of St. Michael at the cemetery.

Calvary - Čabar

The Calvary, which is located above the central square, is dominated by the altarpiece by Valentin Metzinger, a famous 18th-century Slovene artist. Behind it, there is a path with the recently renovated chapels of the Stations of the Cross with paintings by Andrija Zbašnik. A particularly interesting monument is the tomb of the Paravić and Ghyzy families, the former owners of the Čabar estate.


Calvary - Lokve

The Calvary with chapels in Lokve is harmoniously blended into the landscape and has a great scenic value. The stairs lead through the entrance chapel in the village up to the chapel at the top of the Calvary. There is a wooden crucifix in a niche of this latter chapel.

Gorski kotar Info desk
Lujzinska 47
51300 Delnice
tz-grada-delnica@ri.t-com.hr
Tel./Fax: +385 51 812 156

Službene stranice Gorskog kotara rađene su u suradnji sa Turističkom zajednicom Kvarnera